Law Offices of Payam Y. Poursalimi, APC
Free Initial Consultation
323-782-9927
877-PAYAMLA
877-729-2652

We speak Spanish and Farsi

Santa Monica, California-area e-scooter injuries subject of study

One of the first venues for an electric scooter sharing service was in 2017 in Santa Monica, right down the road from our law firm in Beverly Hills. Scooters as an ingredient in the soup of public transportation are positive from convenience, cost and air-quality viewpoints.

However, introducing an unfamiliar mode of travel into famously heavy California traffic in which the driver’s body is unprotected — think bicycles and motorcycles — opens up scooter drivers to collisions with larger vehicles, standing objects and pedestrians as well as to other kinds of mishaps, all of which can potentially cause serious injury to vulnerable scooter drivers.

Scooter-injury patterns

Los Angeles-area medical researchers looked at 249 emergency room admissions at UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica and Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in the year from Sept. 1, 2017, to Aug. 31, 2018, because of scooter accidents. The most common injury types recorded in the study published in JAMA in January were:

  • Head injury (40%)
  • Bone fractures (32%)
  • Bruising, sprains or cuts without fracture (28%)

Of the 249, 15 people required hospitalization, two of them in intensive care.

Characteristics of mishaps causing harm

The study found these common kinds of scooter accidents:

  • Falls (74%)
  • Collisions with objects (10%)
  • Moving vehicles like bicycles, cars or other scooters striking scooters (8%)

Riders made up 92% of the ER patients with the remaining 8% either having been struck by scooters or having tripped on scooters (which renters may leave anywhere).

Approximately 4% of riders were using helmets, even though the applicable rental agreements “require or recommend them.” California law does not require helmets for electric scooters, but of course their use is an important safety practice.

Potential legal remedies

According to ABC News, in November, Lime, one of the major players in the industry, recalled a scooter model “after it concluded they could break apart while in use.” If someone is injured because of a defective or dangerous product, the manufacturer, seller, rental company or distributor may be subject to a claim for damages for product liability.

ABC News also reports that Lime has a new e-scooter model that comes with $1 million liability insurance coverage. In any accident involving a scooter, all potentially liable insurers should be considered such those providing insurance purchased by the company offering the scooter for rent, insurance on any other vehicles involved and insurance on vehicles owned by the victim.

Of course, as in any kind of motor vehicle accident, negligent, reckless or illegal driving conduct by other drivers open them up to liability in a personal injury claim if that behavior caused injury to the scooter driver.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Honors & Memberships

UWLA School of Law UCLA University of California Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles Trial Lawyers' Charities Lead Counsel Rated
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Firm Today

When you are facing criminal charges or have suffered a serious injury, you have no time to lose. Your rights are time-sensitive under the law.

Our firm serves Californians throughout the state, including those living in the Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles County, Southern California, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, Orange County, Ventura County, San Francisco and San Jose areas.

To schedule your appointment for a consultation at our Beverly Hills office,
call 323-782-9927 or 877-PAYAMLA (877-729-2652) or write to us to tell us about your situation.

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Payam Y. Poursalimi, APC
8383 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 830
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Phone: 323-782-9927
Fax: 323-782-1185
Beverly Hills Law Office Map

Call For A Free Initial Consultation